Sharijoy
I know that everyone hates doing all the LITTLE things left to do when you are renovating like the TRIM and stuff. I also don't like the finishing touches on certain things. But in my Daughters almost finished room we have taken the time to paint EVERYTHING out the window sills the trim the doors the closets inside, outside and even the edges!!! Though I think if it were up to Dug he would of just painted them hanging where they were!! LOL hes sooooo meticulous about somethings and not about others!! But I took the doors down and took the closet doors apart and gave them a fresh new coat of paint. Tip for you's who need to paint something but don't want to lug up saw horses I use toilet paper rolls!! I always have lots of them around they are all the same height so my boards sit flat and even and its just easy to use and put away after!! I would suggest if you have to do trim that you put a 2x4 across the TP first and then put your trim on top of the 2x4s running the opposite way!! all it does is give you the TP height plus the 2x4's height for painting. heres a couple of pics......it works for me!!

Anyway back to caulking.....we laid laminate flooring in Kalis room( my hunny Dug did an awesome job) when you cut and nail the floor trim some times you get gaps on the top from uneven walls, or the room isn't completely square so your corner 45's aren't a nice snug fit, there left with a gap, or if you look at the floor you can see where the trim and floor don't match up perfectly....this is because NO HOUSE IS COMPLETELY SQUARE!!!! and its annoying!! My solution CAULK IT!!!

If your trim is white use white caulking or if not use the clear or paintable caulking!! heres my list of why you should caulk the trim top and bottom for laminate floors, tile floors or linoleum....or just the top if you have carpet.

1. Main reason to hide all the imperfections in the trim, floors, corners and walls
2. If you caulk it you'll never loose little things in it cuz its sealed....no kiddies shoving pennies behind it of papers or whatever!!
3. If its caulked its easy to clean cuz nothing can get behind it only dust and stuff sits on it and its easy to wipe up. We have a dog so theres no worries of dirt and dog fluff build up in the corners...I don't have to get down on my knees and pull out long strands of nastiness
4. This reason has got to be my NUMBER ONE reason for YOU MUST CAULK!!.....little critters like SPIDERS do not have a place to run and hide cuz its sealed top and bottom......with a carpet the little buggers only have a 50/50 chance of survival!!
heres some of the before pictures ...if you don't caulk what it would look like and some after pictures of how nice it looks!!! and really caulking takes No time at all...when its done its done!!! PS the trick to caulking cut the right size hole in the tube for the job you are doing and wet your finger and run it over the bead you pump out for a smooth finish have a damp rag handy to wipe the excess off on it!! Anyone can do it yes that includes you!!!
4 Responses
  1. Sharijoy Says:

    OOOpps the last two pics are backwards...you can is the gap between the floor and trim on the right and how the one on the left has a nicer finish with the bead of caulking on the bottom!! The gap isn't as noticable


  2. Laura Says:

    Shari, I love that you do this. I would never have thought of the TP idea...very clever. Keep them coming!

    Laura


  3. Christy Says:

    Wow I am impressed! I could hardly clean my house when I was pregnant!

    I just wanted to say thank you for the gift that you, Jenny and Penny got for Olivia! It was so cute! I loved it! Thank you for thinking of me even though we have never even met!

    Hope you are having a good day!


  4. Jenny Says:

    Looking good!!! I can't wait to see it when it's all decorated!!!
    You are so handy...I laugh when I think of me asking, "so what are you doing today?" and you replying "well when Kali goes down for a nap I just quickly have to use the table saw!"
    And my response..."I think I'm going to drink some coffee, fold some laundry!!!"
    Like Laura says keep the tips coming! I never would have thought of using tp..