Sharijoy
For the longest time……and I mean longest! Its been so long I can tell you that while I was STILL in high school I thought about going to Church. As a young girl my family and I went to the United Church. Then with all the moving around we did from town to town my mom and dad fell out of the loop of going. I do believe in God and for as long as I can remember have always said my prayers and been thankful to him for the happy and lucky life I’ve lived, I know he watches over me. I do believe and have some knowledge of the Bible but its not as spiritual and connected as I would like it to be. I’m not sure if I blogged about it but after my daughter was born or not but I really wanted to have her baptized. I was baptized and its just something I felt needed to be done. I can’t reason or explain why I wanted this for her, I just did. Anyway, I went to my local church and was basically told that they wouldn’t do it cuz I wasn’t a member. Which I have to say really ticked me off. I felt like who are you to deny my child that right. But then a very wise and knowledgeable friend JENNY….said… if anything were to happen, God forbid, God would not deny his child. Which put my heart to ease…abit. But there’s still this yearning to get more in touch with my spiritual side. I’ve only known United, but call me stubborn am not interested in going there now, with everything that happened or didn’t happen lets say. But I really don’t know anything about the other churches. I want my children to have faith in their life, I want them to enjoy Sunday School as I did. I just don’t know where to start, how to figure out where to go. I’ve batted this around for forever and I know I need to act on it. I had a good confo at work with a guy and as I told him all of the happening and all of the scenarios and all of how I felt and what I wanted for my kids and how I didn’t want to be hypocritical by sending my children but not going myself and so on and so forth. He sat there intently and listened and then said to me “Shari do you know what you are leaving out in all of this?” he paused “GOD” boy that hit home. So I guess I need to look into finding out more about the churches in my community …..I’ve been leaning toward the Baptist….its a bit scary to me to venture out there on my own with no knowledge of what goes on or how to inject myself into this. But I know I have been putting it off for far, far too long.
Spiritual Guidance needed.......

7 Responses
  1. Janelle Says:

    it excites me that you are "searching" and that you are hoping to find a church community to call home. i really hope you are able to find it and that He'll lead you to just the right place, where you can be comfortable, make friends, and learn more about Him.
    my only "spiritual guidance" (haha)for you...it's not all about the going to church. this is something i'm currently learning for myself. i need to make sure i find time at home, and at work to keep learning about God and listening to Him and finding out what it is He needs from me. For some, it's reading the Bible, or a devotional book, or painting, or spending time outside in nature. For me - it's music. i blare the worship music in my car on the way to work & sing my little heart out. (haha) but that's MY special time with God. and even through those short or long moments spend with Him He can teach us more about ourselves, what He wants for our lives, and how to become stronger & grow more spiritually.
    i totally encourage you in that!! :) and i'm always here if you want to chat!!


  2. Jenny Says:

    I'll be praying for you Shari. I agree with what Janelle has said. Great tips.
    I know that I need to be going more to church than I do,but I am happy that I have found a place to go to where I am always welcomed and treated like a fellow member.
    I pray that you find this to. Maybe go to a couple of different sermons of different churches. Go online to read what their vision statement is.
    I'm excited for you and your family.


  3. Laura Says:

    Hey Shari! I like Jenny's advice about trying out a few churches to see where you feel comfortable. Pray and ask God for some guidance as to knowing which one is right for you and your family.

    I go to the Baptist church in town and have for quite a few years. I grew up going to the United Church but switched to the Baptist many moons ago. Feel free to email me if you have any questions about it.

    Hopefully I'll see you one Sunday!

    Laura


  4. Sharijoy Says:

    Thanks Guys!!....I know its something I need to do....its just being able to find that place that makes me comfortable and feels right. Laura, thanks maybe I'll call you and we can CHAT!! On an up note I have found a preschool for Kali and shes registered to start in Sept. One thing done on my to do list!!! one million to go!!


  5. Jenny Says:

    Which preschool did you choose?


  6. Anonymous Says:

    Shari, I encourage you to ask God in faithful prayer which church you should attend. Be patient, He will answer you.

    Holly Bogacki


  7. SueakaNana Says:

    Hi Shari, omg, i can't believe that they turned you away at the United as far as i know their membership is so low right now so you would think they would be bending over backwards to accomodate you. I grew up United, my girls were baptized United as were our grandchildren. I'm bad, as i stopped going once Rev john van omme left town. Not good hey. But i think you should check out different churches, if you have the time but if i had to do it all over again, i think i would go to the Baptist, heard good things about it. So thats my two bits friend. good luck.